Friday, August 24, 2007

He Wouldn't Move!!!!!!

Well, we went to the hospital yesterday to try to get Mr. Oliver Twist to move and he wouldn't budge!!! He is already showing a bit of a stubborn side and he made it very clear he did not appreciate being pushed around. It actually ended up giving us all quite a scare. We went to labor and delivery at noon and didn't get home until 4:00. They do it in the hospital in case something goes wrong (like a tear in the placenta) and they have to do an emergency c-section. They first gave me an ultrasound to make sure he still hadn't turned on his own, and, of course, he hadn't. Then they gave me an IV and that stupid little needle gets me every single time. I hate getting poked by those buggers and every time I do I feel like I am going to pass out. As soon as they got that all situated they gave me medication to relax my uterus so that the pressure of them moving him wouldn't cause me to start contrating. Let me tell you, that medicine freaked me out. They said it would feel like I had just consumed 10 cups of coffee very quickly and my heart would speed up super fast. It did and it totally freaked me out even though I knew what to expect. I could hear my heart beating in my ears and felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I was praying I wouldn't start hyperventilating and I was trying not to cry because I was already completely freaked out just to have them turn him. Anyway, after my heart settled down the Dr. put a whole lot of pressure on my tummy and tried turning his whole body around. The first time didn't work so he asked me if he could try again. I said sure...might as well since we were already there. He tried once more with no luck. After the 2nd time the Dr. said, "If he was going to turn, he would have turned. I'm not messing with him anymore." As soon as he said that the baby started getting really stressed and his heart beat started jumping all over the place. The Dr. & nurses all froze and stared at the monitors and his heart went all the way up to 150 and then down to 44 and when it went that low they got pretty frantic and turned me on my left side to get the greatest blood flow to the baby. I thought they were going to have to do a c-section right then and there. I guess that is why they do it at the hospital!

Thomas said it was really creepy to watch because you could see this huge lump on one side of my stomach where his body was and the Dr. was shaking trying so hard to get him to move. It wasn't as painful as I was expecting. It was still VERY uncomfortable and there was a lot of pressure, but it wasn't unbearable to me. Maybe I had it so drummed up in my head that I ended up being pleasantly surprised. The worst part was getting the IV and that medicine that made my heart go crazy.

Anyway, it was hugely disappointing and I am going to have to have a c-section. They gave me a couple of dates to choose from and I chose August 30 since that is my dad's 63rd birthday and he requested that date from the very beginning of my pregnancy. He was tickled that he is getting his birthday wish so we will be going to the hospital at 6:00 am next Thursday to have our little bean sprout! They said we'd be starting around 7:30 which means it probably won't happen until 8:00 since it never goes on time. It really is quite convenient for a planner like me to know the exact date. I can do one last big clean on my house and have everything prepared. It makes me sad to think I only have 5 more full days with just Berkeley. Change is always really hard for me and knowing things will never be the same with just her makes me a little teary. I know it will be a great thing and once I adjust I will love it, but it is still a bit scary :)

11 Comments:

Blogger marisaclark said...

Lisa,
I am sorry to hear that they were unable to turn Mr. Oliver. my little man did the same thing and I had the surprise c-section. The one nice thing about the c-section is that it is over very fast. I hope everything goes well for the two of you and enjoy your "prep" time.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Sorry to hear about your "stubborn" little guy. But at least now when people talk about c-sections you will know what they are talking about, you'll be smarter than me! ;) Bless you these next few days as you prepare and enjoy those sweet times with Berkley, she will be so excited about your little guy you will all forget you were nervous about having two. You will do great!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

I cried so hard my last night with "just Sophie" before my scheduled c-section with Mattie. Everything you are feeling is completely normal. It is so hard to imagine loving someone as much as you love your first child. God is a miracle worker, that is for sure!

I know a c-section is dissapointing to you, but it will be surprisingly much better than your imagination thinks of! I will be praying for you and Oliver...and Tom! :) We don't want any fainting!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oh dear! You poor thing! That just makes me want to cry! Hang in there!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Tammie said...

Lisa,

WOW! You have been through quite the ordeal...that little stinker :)! I know what you are talking about with that medicine, they gave it to me a few times pre-labor. Its a strange feeling. As far as the C-Section, I can relate. Each time I was scared crazy, but looking back I am glad I had them, as they went pretty smoothly and its really not that bad. To me it beats the pain of labor. You will have experience both, which would be really neat. Just think you will be holding your dear boy really soon and this will all be behind you. YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!

8:30 PM  
Blogger The Stockwells said...

What a little stinker! He is certainly his own little man isnt he. Well we cant wait to meet him and its kinda nice to anticipate when he is coming, right :) My sister has had all C-sections and doesnt seem to mind. We will definately pray that all goes well. I bet Berkeley is going to love her new little brother.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

Oh I am so sorry. But just think you can use it later in life. Enjoy your time with Berk. If you need anything, please let me know.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that Oliver wouldn't turn. I know what medication you are talking about, they gave me the same kind of stuff when I went into pre term labor. Nasty and it does feel like you can't breathe becuase your heart is beating so fast. I know you are disappointed about a c-section, but at least you don't have to do the waiting game. You know when your little man is coming! I will be praying for you all.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Sweet Pea Potts said...

Thank you all for your thought and prayers! I really appreciate it and will post pictures as soon as I am able to!

3:33 PM  
Blogger CunninghamRules!! said...

Yay, by now you have your little guy, can't wait to meet him Lis, I hope all went well, bless you!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home