Sunday, December 31, 2006

My New Love

Some of my new glass creations!

Now comes the fun part...filling them!
To my husband's dismay, my love affair with cake plates has fizzled and I have found a new "mistress," if you will. Actually, let me clarify, I am still passionate about cake plates, but I am now enamored with apothecary jars. Surprisingly, Martha is not the culprit for my new found friends, rather Pottery Barn is. My poor husband is at a loss for words. He doesn't understand why I keep buying more glass when more babies are in our future. He feels that every piece of glass I continue to purchase is bound to get broken. In honor of my infatuation with glass, I tell him "Let's have a 'glass' is half full kind of attitude and believe that it will all make it through our child rearing days in one piece." He does not think this is funny, however, and hangs his head in utter despair and defeat. The poor dear, I know it will only make him stronger, but right now the mere mention of glass causes him to get a sour and disgusted look on his otherwise smiling countenance. Darling Thomas, if you're reading this, take heart, perhaps one day when I've passed on to the hereafter you'll fondly reminisce about my love of all things delicate, even in the midst of babies, puppies and chaos. Just remember, this too shall pass and eventually I might fall in love with something a little more durable and shatter-proof. I suppose that is something you can add to your prayer list along with a more sensible wife :) Love you husband, love you Martha, love you cake plates, love you apothecary jars!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

LOL! You're awesome! Love the jars! (My husband is the one who breaks things in our house...not my two boys! Ha!)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Cagle Clan said...

You're a GREAT writer!!! You should think about doing more of it!
Lovely jars!
I feel that way about shoes and purses and underwear...sorry, I love cute underwear..I collect them! :)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Chris and Laura said...

It could be worse, you could have a passion for pot holders with a barn scene on them or you could be buying ornaments for those really annoying "croc" shoes they sell at Hallmark! Jess, I told Lisa she should write a book too, she cracks me up when I read these stories!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I can relate, and I think Chris too. After Christmas I bought some really pretty gold fluted champagne glasses and one has already broken, when he was cleaning up the glass he remarked, "look how thin this glass is!" And I'm thinking, yeah, that's why I like them, they are light and delicate and pretty :) He would prefer his wine in a sturdy goblet I think :) Oh well, we'll have to get some of those too I guess! I don't know that I will ever learn to really appreciate sturdy stuff :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger amandacarmel said...

Lis, you are one "glassy" lady! Hope you are finally able to get some sleep at night now that you have these beautiful apothecary jars! Your passion for these things really inspires me!

Love ya,
the "funny" girl!

2:07 PM  
Blogger The Stockwells said...

Oh my gosh, Lis you crack me up!! You are a great writer....you should find a profession where you could do it all the time. I agree with Laura, what if collected apples for you kitchen. It could be worse. And, gross....I did not know they sold ornaments for "croc" shoes. God help us, what is this world coming to! I do have to admit that I think those croc shoes are cute on really little kids. But not old people. Sorry, somehow I go off on croc shoes when we are talking about jars. Keep it up and keep reminding Thomas that it could be worse. you could want to collect diamond rings :)!!!! Oh, and I need your address. I have a beautiful christmas picture of the best looking couple in Colorado to send you but I then realized I didnt have your new address :)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Potts Family 5 said...

ooo-la-la! They are so pretty. I think Thomas might have to worry that they survive the nephews, more than surviving Berkeley! I wish that was a funny statement. Unfortunately, my boys believe almost everything was created to be thrown or tackled! Aahhhh! I love your writing too Lisa - you're so witty and entertaining!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home