Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Berkeley's 1st Birthday





Two cute clowns: Malacai & Hudson
Two crazy clowns: Amanda & Laura
We're already embarassing her & she's only one!!!

We celebrated Berkeley's 1st birthday on Saturday, November 4th! We did a circus theme since I fell in love with some clown cupcakes I saw in a yes, you guessed it, Martha magazine. I fell in love with them and thought a circus theme would be perfect since I had a vintage circus toy box I found for $10 at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I was going to have the cupcakes made at a local bakery, but when they told me they would cost $4 per cupcake I thought to myself "Over my dead body, I'll make them myself." I can now understand why they would have charged so much as they were extremely time consuming to do. The recipe said I could decorate them a day ahead of time, which I did. I didn't have one since I am a nervous hostess, but Thomas had one and told me after the party that they were a little stale since I had to cut the center out of the cupcake in order to make the hat. Apparently that dried them out a bit, but I didn't really care how they tasted...just that they looked cute for her baby book. Am I nutty, or are most moms like that? Maybe you all shouldn't answer that :)
Berkeley was in a great mood and had a wonderful time with all our friends and family. I was in a great mood since I found yet another way to use those precious cake plates I just had to have. My husband finally buckled and admitted that I have used them a great deal and that yes, they were worth the investment! I love it when that happens :) Anyway, we love you Baby Berkeley! We can't believe a year has gone by already. You are turning into a little girl and we can't wait to see what this next year has in store.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cagle Clan said...

Wow....will you be my mother?? :)

11:27 PM  
Blogger Chris and Laura said...

Okay, you are in charge of my childrens birthdays too!!!! Happy Birthday little Berkeley. I have to say, she was the most delicate cake eater I have seen. She must get that from her mother!!!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Potts Family 5 said...

Lisa - You did a great job! I didn't know you made the cupcakes - good job! Last I heard you were going to have them made. They looked professional...along with everything else! You are a great mom!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

How cute is that!? I am finding that you and I have a lot in common! I, too, am a "nervous hostess", although I had never used those words to discribe it before! (I will now!) I can't eat when I put on a party! When we celebrated Trevor's birthday I just ordered a salad because I couldn't even concentrate on the menu, and then I didn't even finish it! Ha ha! At any rate, your party looks like it was lovely and I'm glad you got to use your cake plate again! Happy Birthday, Berkeley!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Sweet Pea Potts said...

I will Jess, but I have to warn you, I'm not a great cook. I fear you'd be sorely disappointed.

Laura, she really was very clean with the cupcake, wasn't she? I thought she'd dive right in, but she barely got any on her face & hands. Lets hope it lasts!!!

Thanks Holly...if I wasn't so cheap I would have had them done, but I thought $4 a piece was a bit steep. My husband would have had a coronary and I'm not sure his life insurance is paid up!!! Just kidding. I think you should be a professional cake maker. You could be on the food network and enter those contests. I bet you'd win!!!

I know the feeling Andrea. Most of the time I feel like I'm going to throw up during a party that I'm hosting. I think I get too worked up trying to get everything ready in time for the guests and my stomach is in knots. Then after everyone leaves I am too wired to sleep and usually can't get to sleept until 2 or 3 am. I know, I know, I have issues :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger The Stockwells said...

You are an amazing mother Lis!!! What a wonderful job you did. This year flew by...I cant believe you have had Berkeley a year! That makes it sound like you adopted her, but you know what I mean....:) When is the next little Potts coming?

8:33 PM  
Blogger The Stockwells said...

Oh, and "askinstoo" sure has a lot to say....is that your new friend?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Sweet Pea Potts said...

Thanks Kel! You are too funny! Yes, that askinstoo sure does have a lot to say...I'd sure like to give her a piece of my mind :) How annoying! I can't believe we've had Berkeley for a year already either! I'm not sure when the next little Potts is coming...hopefully soon!!! More importantly, when is the first little Stockwell coming :)

11:01 AM  
Blogger The Eddy's said...

Lisa, you are amazing! I can't believe all the little details that you attend to so well. Her party looked like something you'd only see in a movie...you are giving Martha a run for her money! : )

7:31 AM  
Blogger Sweet Pea Potts said...

Thanks Kristin. I have always been a detail oriented person and I love doing all the little detaily (is that a word?) things for parties. As far as giving Martha a run for her money, I wish I got paid like she does :)

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home