Monday, October 23, 2006

Welcome Fall!!











I love fall. It is my very favorite time of year! I could have my house decorated for fall all year round and never tire of it! I love wheat, gourds and pumpkins. I love the colors of the trees and the crispness of the air. I also love cake plates and in order to show my husband that I can use them for many things I decided to display some gourds on them this year. Thanks to Martha Stewart I have become somewhat obsessed with cake plates and every time there is a package at the front door my husband groans and says "More cake plates? Why on earth do we need more cake plates?" I admit, I have spent a small fortune on them, but they make me happy and no husband can put a price on their wife's happiness, right girls? I am determined to prove to him that I do indeed use them (and use them often) so you will probably see them regularly on this blog.
On Friday night Chris & Laura came over to carve pumpkins. I had a Martha moment and decided to make butternut squash soup. It turned out rather nicely and my husband even finished his bowl which was surprising since he "doesn't even like squash". A few years ago I purchased a cute pumpkin soup tureen with matching bowls so I decided it would be a festive touch if we ate our soup out of those. Even though there were no savory meat or chicken chunks in the soup for the boys to enjoy, they all finished their bowls, with the exception of Jerry...I think he gave the rest of his to Sterling when I wasn't looking. Needless to say, he was not raving about it!!
After dinner we carved our pumpkins. Berkeley is cutting her two top teeth so she helped Aunt Laura out on hers! It was a really fun night and we will do it again next year for sure! Maybe with a more "hearty" soup for the boys...the poor souls :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Potts Family 5 said...

Lisa - Good job! The pumpkins look great, the decor is simply marvelous, and the cake plates are worth every penny! And, the soup...you are adventurous! My family would ban me from the kitchen if I tried to serve them that. I have a house full of immature taste buds. I make like to be banned though?? hmmm. I love the pumpkin tureen. It's adorable and so festive. Love your blog.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Potts Family 5 said...

I meant might like to be banned.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Chris and Laura said...

Okay, why aren't there any pictures of you on here??????? Next time I'm in charge of the camera! I agree with Holly, your pumpkins looked great, the decor was fabulous and Tom knows that every package left at your door is put to use! I'm very proud of you for trying the new soup recipe, it turned out great. Chris was even telling one of his buddies about it and you know how picky he is!!!Thanks for all the traditions you have started in your home. I always look forward to an invite to celebrate the use of more cake plates!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I am so impressed! You are very Martha Stewert-y! Good job!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

I could use a few cake plates. Hmmmmm....not that I bake or anything, but you know, the idea of it!

7:42 AM  
Blogger The Eddy's said...

Hey you two, or I should say YOU THREE!!! Wow, I am so glad that you are in the blogging world...it's such a cool way for us to stay in touch with old and new friends. Your baby is beautiful! This year, once I recover a little bit more from my back surgery, Ari and I are going to start trying. We just celebrated our two year anniversary, so now the pressure is on! : ) Hope all is happy and well with you.

love, Kristen (Upson) Eddy!

6:42 PM  
Blogger The Stockwells said...

Oh Martha! you put us all to shame :) I love how you decorate for the holidays and I think its hilarious that Thomas rolls his eyes at all the cake plates you buy! Husbands just dont understand how much happiness certain things bring to their wives :) I love butternut squash soup!! I need to try and make it myself now.

11:19 AM  
Blogger The Eddy's said...

I completely agree with Kelly's comment..."Martha!" You put us all to shame...you home is amazing from what I can see of it in your pictures, I love your taste and how you've put everything together for the holidays. You have always been so well put together. I remember on the first day of M.C. I thought that you were a model! : ) I was all intimidated by you in your tan suit and your perfectly manicured toes! : )

9:57 PM  
Blogger Sweet Pea Potts said...

Thanks Andrea, Kel and Kristin! Like I said I love Martha (well, the way she decorates anyway) and that is one of the best compliments a person could give me :)
Kristin - I remember thinking the same of you on our first day of MC. I saw this super tall and thin girl with the most beautiful red hair I had ever seen!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Skyler and Suzanne said...

That day looked like a lot of fun. Berkley will love looking at these great pictures when she is older and nowing how much everyone loves her so much!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home