Saturday, September 17, 2011

Oliver's 1st day of School!



Jake & Oliver








On Monday, Sept 12th, Oliver had his 1st day of the "3's class" at the same little preschool Berk attended. After dropping her off and picking her up for 2 years he was ready to go all by himself. All I can say is boy, what a difference between the 1st born and 2nd born. After I put her on the bus crying hysterically with her hands on the window pleading with me to take her off and then going inside to cry hysterically myself as the picture of my child's 5 year old eyes full of tears will stay with me for the rest of the day until she comes home (chipper and happy when the bus drops her off, acting like it was a great day, by the way). So I took Oliver to school not quite knowing how he would react. Would he see sister's reaction at having to ride the bus to school and decide to act the same way or will he remember how badly he wanted to go last year as I had to coerce him into getting in the car after dropping her off at preschool?




He informed me that he might be nervous and might "cry just a wittle bit" so I expected a few sniffles and then he'd remember just how long he waited to go himself. His friend Jake is in his class (Jake is Justin's little brother. Justin is one of Berk's best friends. She informed me she is going to marry him and practically gave her dad a heart attack over the summer when she walked him out to his car holding his hand while wearing her pink bikini after they had a swim/play date. They went through the last 2 years of preschool together and we go to the park all the time so they are all good buddies.) So after he and Jake compared back packs and hung all their gear up on the hooks, Oliver started playing with play-doh and said "Aren't you gonna leave now Mom?" I said "Oh, am I being dismissed?" I hadn't even taken his picture by his wall yet and asked if I could do that real quick and he said "Yeah, I want you to stay just a couple more minutes and then you can go." So, after completing my task he kissed me, hugged me and said "Bye Mom" and never once looked back.




It turns out, his teacher has a son who knows his oldest cousin Malacai. She saw Oliver's last name and asked if he knew Malacai. Oliver said "Yes, he's my cousin." She asked him "Do you know what school he goes to? Oliver said "He's in big kid Kindergarten." So, needless to say, his first week of school was much different than Berk's. Berk started out great, but after she discovered how loud the bus was and how long the day was, she decided she wasn't too fond of all day Kindergarten or of riding the bus. He, on the other hand, wants to go to her new school since she has a better play ground and a better bathroom and can't wait to ride the bus. In fact, the only problem with his new school is that it doesn't have bus service. Go figure!!!




2 Comments:

Blogger Chris and Laura said...

I am so glad he loves school! Berk will get better, just a matter of time! Do hate your quiet house????? Thankfully Finley is still home for a couple of years!

1:02 PM  
Blogger The Stockwells said...

Oh my goodness Lis, thanks for all the great updates! I have been laughing about Oliver wondering if the beach was open on only Sundays. What a darling boy. You have the most precious, beautiful kids! May I make 1 request....would you post pictures of your house? I get glimpses of it in the pictures but I want to see it in all its glory! Glad to see you all are doing well.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home